POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Blender, Povanim, Poseray and friends : Re: Blender, Povanim, Poseray and friends Server Time
17 May 2024 04:06:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender, Povanim, Poseray and friends
From: Burki
Date: 21 Apr 2005 19:10:01
Message: <web.42683208de0cce51d61e8c370@news.povray.org>
Ross wrote:
> Do you mean "Poseray" in the line above?
Yes.

> if you import the OBJ into Blender, then export a new OBJ with
Blender, does it retain all of it's original vertex information?

I do not have the export script to export as .OBJ script (from blender).
But when I export with Povanim into POV-Ray, the number of vertices stays
the same while the faces nearly double:

Original Wings3D:
2550 vertices
2554 faces
and 1 normal / face

imported into Blender (via .OBJ)
2550 vertices
2554 faces
?        normals

exported into .pov (with Povanim)
2550 vertices
5096 faces (I did not triangulate manually ! )
2550 normals  ----> one normal / vertex (aha?)

Importing the .OBJ into PoseRay  ---->
Number of vertices............. 2550
Number of normals.............. 2550 (1normal / vertex)
Number of polygons............. 2554
Number of valid triangles...... 5096.

So, Povanim seems to triangulate automtically and sets one normal per
vertex. But the doubling of faces without having a doubled number of
normals won't do any smoothing effect.
PoseRay seems to have a different way to calculate, but how...
 --- I'm as informed as a tea leaf about the East India Company.

And ani was also for me the reason to take a look at blender.

Yours,
Burki @ ginko . de .keinen spam!